POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixel Limitations : Re: Pixel Limitations Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:29:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pixel Limitations
From: Ib Rasmussen
Date: 5 Aug 2001 07:38:55
Message: <3B6D309D.ACAF942E@ibras.dk>
David Fontaine wrote:

> I've rendered at 5100x3400, so 2100x1575 is not a limit!
>
> There has to be a limit somewhere though, I mean come on, unsigned long
> only goes up to 4.3 billion...

...but PovRay uses signed integers, so the limit is 2147483647. I have
actually tried it with a one pixel wide image. I had to disable display
though, as Windows couldn't allocate a display buffer that size.

If you want to try rendering a maximum size image, make sure you have
enough disk space to hold the 12 exabyte large file.

/Ib