POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : post_process and gamma : Re: post_process and gamma Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:49:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post_process and gamma
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 29 Jul 2001 03:01:33
Message: <3B63B572.43AE6139@pp.htv.fi>
Dennis Milller wrote:

> Is it safe to alter the gamma setting, for example to achieve overall
> brightness of a scene?

Sure, as long as the output file format doesn't store the (incorrect)
gamma information. I think only png stores it. You know what your
monitor gamma is and if the image looks good on screen then all is well.

Remember to adjust your monitor brightness and contrast too.
http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/adjust.gif

When publishing your images I would recommend using gamma 2.2 in the
image file. It's the standard agreed by such small companies like
Microsoft, HP, Adobe and Corel. Just apply your_gamma/2.2 correction
to the image in an image editor (Paint Shop Pro, Image Ready, etc.).

Kari Kivisalo