POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Brick wall with height field : Re: Brick wall with height field Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brick wall with height field
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 24 Jul 2001 01:45:08
Message: <3B5D0C09.B094EB1A@pp.htv.fi>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> That looks good, but it will only work on such fairly 'nice' textures with
> mostly orthogonal lighing and not very deep gaps between the stones.

Removing internal shadind doesn't just apply to bimaterial? textures.
All kinds of textures can be processed to reduce the internal shadind but
multiple lighten layers doesn't necessarily work on every texture. The only
requirement seems to be that the illumination on the surface is (close to)
monochromatic, the number of light sources doesn't matter, in fact it's
better to have multiple sources. If Photoshop magic doesn't work I can
always use graphics tablet to edit the tricky parts.

I brought this up because I haven't seen this discussed before. Most of the
textures have limited use because of the shadind. I think Strata sells
textures without internal shadind with hand crafted bump and specularity
maps included.

The ideal texture would be recorded with 48 bit color laser scanner which
also records the geometry. Distortions from surface geometry would be
removed using the large scale 3D data. The small scale 3D data goes to bump
map. I'm not sure how one would record the specularity map but I'm sure
there is a solution. Transparency maps would be nice too. Quite expensive
though.

Kari Kivisalo