POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Brick wall with height field : Re: Brick wall with height field Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brick wall with height field
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 22 Jul 2001 15:42:00
Message: <3B5B2D2C.653CD8C4@pp.htv.fi>
"Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen" wrote:

> > http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/brick.htm
>
> It is indeed.  Love the tree, btw -- did it take forever to render with
> that invisible tree in there?

It would take if I render with area_light and 3D tree model. To make it
faster I use a blank png with a tree silhouette in alpha channel mapped
to a pair of triangles. For soft shadows I blurred the alpha chanel in
Photoshop, much faster and better results than with area_light. It took
about 5 minutes on 1GHz Athlon.

http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/tree_alpha.jpg

Kari Kivisalo