POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Best place to find free models? : Re: Best place to find free models? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Best place to find free models?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Jul 2001 16:27:44
Message: <3B4CB741.2530749F@gmx.de>
Peter Cracknell wrote:

> Secondly can anybody give me any tips on creating the best landscapes (I'm
> using heightfields)?  Should I save the greyscale images as 24bit or 32bit?
> Thanks

24bit or 32bit?

Usually you would use 8 or 16 bit for heightfields (as PNG or PGM format
for example), 24 bit TGA with red and green channel for the height values
is another common form.

Programs for generating heightfields can be found in Ken's links or in the
terrain simulation liks on my site:

http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/terlinks.html

Christoph

--