POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rotation around an axis at the origin : Re: Rotation around an axis at the origin Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rotation around an axis at the origin
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 7 Jul 2001 13:38:02
Message: <3B472A65.3D1F4DC6@free.fr>
Alberto wrote:

> Take a look at
>
> http://www.ma.usb.ve/~jacob/povgraph/rot1.html

Good !
I computed the product of 5 rotation matrix
(2 change of base, actual rotation by the angle, and back to
the original base with the transpose of the two first) but
I ended up with a rather strange diagonal (the first term
was like a1.a1+(a1.a1.a2.a2+a3.a3)/(a1.a1+a3.a3)*cos(alpha),
when a1 and a3 not null, otherwise a1.a1+cos(alpha) ;
the third on the diagonal was similar, while the
second was a2.a2+(a1.a1+a3.a3)*cos(alpha), so I was not
really sure if I hadn't done something wrong.

I really prefer your suggestion.
(Note: I found the same formulaes for the non-diagonal factors,
so, I must not been so wrong, afterall)

P.S: I just look also in megapov source, it has the same formulae.