POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV performance : POV performance Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  POV performance
From: Tom A
Date: 5 Jul 2001 15:04:37
Message: <3B44BA45.34CC79C2@my-deja.com>
Hi all.

Has there been any discussion about POV performance, specifically what
to avoid to increase performance?

For example, I recently used the City macro to create a 5 X 5 street
city.
I then replaced one of the types of cars with a vehicle I designed.  The
vehicle that came with the utility is made up of 4 spheres and two
super-elipsoids, IIRC.   Mine was made up of about 25 object, the basic
shape created by 10 or so blobs.  The speed of rending went _way_ down.

OK, I thought, maybe it's the blobs.  I replaced the smooth shaped
airraft with an angled one for the body.  I created the hull with a set
of intersected planes (a technique I got from the Shapes include
Octahedron.)
It went even slower.

I then replaced the hull with a set of boxes, angled to give
approximately the same shape as with the planes.  Some speedup but not
as much as I hoped, however, the number of objects in the vehicle went
up.  I came to the conclusion that it was probably just the total number
of objects in the picture that was effecting the processing time.

So, is there a performance guide somewhere that might give hints on how
to speed up processing?  Has it been discussed here (or on one of the
other POV newsgroups - a quick search didn't produce anything, but I'm
just looking at the titles).

And finally, should this be in a different newsgroup?

(I have noticed that when I try to create 3d clouds as described in some
examples, that my pps can drop to 50-60.  At that point, unless I really
want to see the picture, I kill it.)

Thanks!

--
Tom A.
See everything; over look a great deal; correct a little.  -Blessed Pope