POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rotation around an axis at the origin : Rotation around an axis at the origin Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Rotation around an axis at the origin
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 4 Jul 2001 15:50:44
Message: <3B43739B.305A5FF6@free.fr>
I have a question that I'm currently failing to resolve,
so any help is welcome:

What is the form of the transformation matrix that would
perform a rotation of a given angle (alpha), at the origin
(<0,0,0>), around any possible axis (<a,b,c>).

I know the form for a rotation around the X, Y or Z,
but I just cannot figure how to do it for any vector as
the axis of the rotation.
If it can help, it can be assumed that the length of the vector
is the unit (or whatever please the solver).

I hope for a solution that is expressed in term of:
 -the vector which is the normal to the plane of the rotation,
 -the angle of the rotation, as measured in the plane of the rotation

Thanks in advance.