POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : photon questions : Re: photon questions Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:01:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photon questions
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Jun 2001 08:49:45
Message: <3B2A049F.45BED432@gmx.de>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Questions, questions...
>
> Does increasing the photon count increase the brightness or the quality?

A higher count will usually lead to more accurate results, meaning
caustics look less blurred.  The total brighness should not differ much.

> If photons are in the global block, but not attached to a light, is their source
> distributed between all lights in the scene?

You must distinguish between global photons, which are very experimantal
and don't work very well in most cases IIRC, and the photons block in
global_settings{}.  In global_settings{} you can set various overall
settings like count/spacing.

> Is there any significant difference between attaching them to a light or not in
> a scene with only one light?

I think photons are turned on for all light sources as default, so there
would be no difference, but i can't say for sure.  I usually use photons{}
blocks for all light sources either with 'reflection off refraction off'
or one/both turned on.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>