POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Polyhedra page : Re: Polyhedra page Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polyhedra page
From: Dan Johnson
Date: 6 Jun 2001 05:45:21
Message: <3B1F4D8F.ACE12331@hotmail.com>
David Fontaine wrote:

> Not linked into my other sites yet.
>
> http://davidf.faricy.net/polyhedra/Platonic_Solids.html
>

> Comments so far?

<nitpick>
Plato associated the solids with the elements, and used the existence of
the dodecahedron to postulate the existence of a fifth element witch he
called cosmos, of either.  There is some disagreement about what color
the fifth element should be, the most common are white, and black.
There is common agreement about the other four.

Tetrahedron Fire Red
Octahedron Air, or Wind Yellow
Cube Earth Green
Icosahedron Water Blue

I would also like to note that your image nested_platonics.gif is
remarkably similar to my third post to this server on 1/7/2001 to the
p.b.i group titled "Nested polyhedron".  I think mine looks better,
especially because you missed one symmetry between the icosahedron, and
the dodecahedron.
</nitpick>

Very good, haven't checked the math but I assume it is correct.  I have
been planning a vastly improved version of my polyhedra.inc file now
that I have been writing pov code for more than a few months.  I know
there are more polyhedra geeks on this server than you and me, maybe
with some teamwork we could include all of our best work in one
collection.
--
Dan Johnson

http://www.geocities.com/zapob