POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : zRCube (POV Clone) : Re: zRCube (POV Clone) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:08:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: zRCube (POV Clone)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Jun 2001 14:12:29
Message: <3B1D2160.21DDD911@gmx.de>
Chris Huff wrote:

> I don't think it's that bad...no more so than any other curved surface.
> Recursively subdividing the sides of a tetrahedron or octahedron seems
> to perform pretty well. You don't have as much control over the
> resolution, but the triangles are fairly even in size. Add in smoothing
> of normals, and there isn't much of a problem.

I think tesselating a smoothly curved surface is always bad to some
extend.

> > Newly generating the mesh with every change of viewpoint, ...
>
> Why? The viewpoint doesn't affect the geometry of the scene...

Because the needed accuracy of tesselation depends on the viewpoint, if
this is not taken into account, visible corners will occur.

You can of course create a quite 'foolproof' tesselation of a sphere with
- let's say - 1000 triangles, but in certain situations also this won't be
enough and in other situations it would be far less efficient to use a
1000 triangle mesh instead of a simple sphere.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>