POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Convention : Re: Convention Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:10:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Convention
From: Ken
Date: 4 Jun 2001 23:53:36
Message: <3B1C5733.6B74B3F9@pacbell.net>
Scott Hill wrote:

> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> >

> > Scott Hill wrote:
> >
> > >     I just think that 'a USA location' has been chosen merely for the
> fact
> > > that the people that suggested having a convention happen to live in
> > > America...
> >
> > There was a UK convention a couple of years ago
>
>     There was ? Wish I'd known about it at the time (or maybe I did and it
> just slipped through the gaps in my memory)...

It was discussed on c.g.r.r. at about the same time the "you know you have
been raytracing too long" thread was active.

>     Actually, I was mostly throwing the suggestion into the pot to see if it
> would float or sink - it just seemed to me that, if we were to have one
> single convention, somewhere neutral would be better.

I think for most US residents, and there are many, it is simply not
cost effective to travel out of the country. Even the thought of
travelling all the way across N. America to Florida seems a little
intimidating to me. It's 3500+ mi. (that's like a million kilometers)
from where I live to where Bill lives for example.

--
Ken Tyler