POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : zRCube (POV Clone) : Re: zRCube (POV Clone) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: zRCube (POV Clone)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Jun 2001 12:49:24
Message: <3B17C7CB.76A0EE97@gmx.de>
Thomas wrote:

> I have tried it (for a very long time) but I never managed to get it through the
compiler
> completly (or linker, I can't remember)

What compiler?
What code did it stumble over?

> I gain network support, which means faster renders. I know that there are some tools
around
> that help you to distribute renders over more machine, but they are not cross
platform.
> Sure a lot of code needs to be written, but writing a ray tracer involves writing
lots of
> code.
>
> As far as I know the network interfaces on Unix and win32 are quite similar, just a
few
> calls different. I don't know about MacOS, but MacOS X should be similar again,
since it is
> a BSD unix. And endianess problems are well understood and all operating systems
with a
> tcp/ip stack provide functions for it (or at least should).

I think these things were discussed quite enough, i'm sure you are welcome
to implement an universal platform independent parallel rendering module
for Povray, but the problems that will occur are much more than just byte
order and network protocols. PVMPov has quite a lot of problems to deal
with and it uses an already made and well tested system.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>