POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fast poligonal solids? : Re: Fast poligonal solids? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast poligonal solids?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 May 2001 03:19:14
Message: <3AEFB520.D592F1BA@gmx.de>
Rich wrote:

>   Has anyone come up with fast rendering solid poligonal shapes?  What I'm
> looking for is the tetrahedron, octahedron, etc.  The ones in shapes2.inc
> are SLOW, more than 15 times slower than a sphere, for instance.  I've
> looked through the links on the POV server, but have yet to find anything I
> can use.
>   The shapes need to be solid so I can CSG some numbers and/or letters into
> the faces.  Even if the shapes are just a little faster than the ones in
> shapes2.inc, I'd appreciate seeing them.  The picture I posted the other
> day called GlassSpheres.jpg was rendered in a little over an hour;
> replacing the 64 spheres with dodecahedrons and re-rendering took 17.5
> hours!!

Since these shapes are intersections of planes, you sould try manual
bounding which can speed up rendering a lot, esp. if many planes are
invloved.

Another possibility would be using a mesh, but you can't CSG it, unless
you use megapov and it's solid mesh feature.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>