POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : question concerning area lights, reflection blur et cetera... : Re: question concerning area lights, reflection blur et cetera... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question concerning area lights, reflection blur et cetera...
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Apr 2001 17:11:48
Message: <3AE49A9D.4B3838BE@gmx.de>
JRG wrote:

> Area lights are quite slow and relfection blur even more. Would it be so
> difficult to make fast pre- (or post) processing area lights with some sort
> of filter to blur the edge of the shadows? It would be much less accurate
> but really faster. I saw something like that somewhere...
> jrg

You can of course blur the whole picture or parts of it like with focal
blur, but to selectively blur the shadowlines would be quite impossible
and also would not look realistic, because the structures of objects and
textures should not be blurred.

It's part of the concept of raytracing that these things are quite slow,
using some kind of reflection maps like done in scanline renderers could
speed up reflection blur, but that would not be an all purpose solution.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>