POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question for the french readers (somewhat OT) : Re: A question for the french readers (somewhat OT) Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question for the french readers (somewhat OT)
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 7 Apr 2001 11:45:50
Message: <3ACF3527.72A01288@videotron.ca>
Ib Rasmussen wrote:

> I'm going to make a model of a church based on drawings by the french
> architect Jardin, from about 1750.
> The measurements on the drawings are in "Pieds". Does any of the you
> know what that unit converts to in centimetres?
>
> I'm guessing that it is about the same as a Danish "fod" (foot), which
> is 31.4 cm, and it is not all that important for the model, but I am
> curious.

Yes, a "pied" is indead a "foot".  Since at that time, there were no
definite standard for those measurements - it was either the architect's
own foot, or in some case the King's - feel free to use whatever you
feel works fine, such as 1 "pied" = 1 pov-unit.

In today's units, 1 foot = 30.48 cm.

--
Francois Labreque | It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it
    flabreque     | is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
                  | motion.
                               - Stolen from Badger's .sig file