POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Large numbers? : Re: Large numbers? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Large numbers?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 1 Apr 2001 08:13:40
Message: <3AC71C5C.5558B174@unforgettable.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> There's another reason you might have missed: the actual number that
> POV uses to determine whether and where an intersection took place might
> be much larger or smaller than the dimensions of the object.  Some
> surprisingly common objects might use the square of a dimension, which
> has of course roughly double the exponent and can be a lot larger or
> a lot smaller than the primary dimension of the object.

Well, I can take a scene that works as expected and scale it up
proportionally a bit at a time until it suddenly starts going weird (I
have in fact tested this, to make sure the problem is with POV-Ray and
not my math).

As far as the design flaw goes.. well, I'm primarily modelling
geological distances, not astronomical ones. One would think/hope that
POV-Ray would be flexible enough to do so in feet, especially since it
can theoretically handle numbers much larger than the ones I'm actually
using anyway. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed (although I'm aware
that some other software has much stricter arbitrary limits).

-Xplo