POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trees from a distance needed : Re: Trees from a distance needed Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trees from a distance needed
From: Randy Hawley
Date: 31 Mar 2001 23:26:30
Message: <3AC6AF4D.635A5F85@iquest.net>
Chris,

For some architectural "work" I have done, I have used a multiple-polygon
"tree".  In it, I used an image map on a polygon, with (of course) transparency.

The image was just a quick-and-dirty panel of a tree trunk, some branches, and
cloudy "leaves" around the edges.  I did it in about 2-3 minutes in Windows
Paint (Yuck! - I know).

I put this image on a polygon, then used about 6 of the polygons rotated around
the center, and stuck them in the landsaping.

Since the image was not symetrical, it actually came out looking pretty good,
both from a height, and from a couple hundred "feet" away at ground level.

I would be happy to E-Mail you the .gif and a simple test scene file for the
tree, if interested.

Randy Hawley