POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Equal distribution along stretched circle circumference - how to do it? : Equal distribution along stretched circle circumference - how to do it? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:13:22 EDT (-0400)
  Equal distribution along stretched circle circumference - how to do it?
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 29 Mar 2001 11:34:34
Message: <3AC3424F.C767174E@ndh.net>
Hi POVers!

As preliminary work for Terragen-like flyover animations I started to
experiment with equal distribution of objects along a stretched circle
curve... in my example, the x axis of the "circle" is 40, while the z
axis is only 20 units, and I want to place 90 small spheres along its
circumference.

When using constant radial spacing, I observed that the distance between

respective values at opposite positions. I assume that the change in
radial position for each sphere to compensate this must be a cosinus
function, something like 2.0933321+0.6973522*cos(i*4) with i going from
0 to 89 (number of spheres), but up to now, I just failed to implement
this correctly into the translate statement.

For better understanding of my problem, I attached the complete scene
script; at clock=0 the oval will be rendered with constant radial
spacing, at clock=1 I intended to do compensating radial spacing...

Thanks in advance for your efforts,

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: