POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity : Re: Radiosity Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Mar 2001 07:55:48
Message: <3AB9F656.961D0C3D@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

> Nekar Xenos <vir### [at] iconcoza> wrote:
> : If I understand it correctly, the purpose of radiosity is to compensate for
> : light scattered by rough surfaces. Normals, as I understand don't do this
> : right without radiosity which is why you need to add radiosity.
>
> : Therefore if you were to use isosurfaces or heightfields to make rough
> : textures with a relatively low reflection level and a high maximum iteration
> : level, you wouldn't need to add radiosity.
>
> : Am I correct or do I have I gone wrong somewhere?
>
>   I'm not completely sure what you are talking about.
>   Radiosity (or better called "global illumination") is a process of
> calculating the interreflection of light between surfaces, which happens
> in the real world.

It should be added that radiosity only calculates the diffuse
interreflection.  For the specular aspects there is photon mapping.

That's probably also the point Nekar referred to.  Since raytracing
generally does not involve calculation of light reflection, neither
diffuse nor specular, photon mapping and radiosity are both necessary no
matter whether normals or real geometric roughness is used.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>