POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dumb question regarding spheres & cameras : Re: Dumb question regarding spheres & cameras Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb question regarding spheres & cameras
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 21 Mar 2001 15:34:55
Message: <3AB90FD3.FC305776@skynet.be>
Patrick Dugan wrote:

> I have tried removing the up and right but it doesn't seem to affect it
> much.  Is there any way to make the spheres look perfectly round regardless
> of position?

No.  This is a perspective principle.  Unless the sphere is centered in
the image, it will be distorded.  This happens with photographic
cameras, hand drawing, anything.  I'll post a shematic explaining
what happens a little later...

The only camera types that act otherwise are orthographic and
fisheye.

You can reduce the effect by playing with the angle and position
of camera, or using ultra_wide_angle.

Fabien.