POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Peer to Peer Povray : Re: Peer to Peer Povray Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Peer to Peer Povray
From: Gilles Fedak
Date: 10 Mar 2001 07:25:54
Message: <3AAA1D58.311A36C5@lri.fr>
> With 480 clients out there on
> the net, I could have my image in a half hour instead of 3 days...
 That's the point.

> The world is full of deviants, and it looks like a lot of them
> own computers now.

C'est la vie :)

> Also, denial attacks will be common -- particularly in the case of something
> like POV, it wouldn't take much effort to submit a bunch of files that would
> effectively prevent anybody from ever getting anything else processed. The
> script I mentioned earlier takes about two hours to render as just a 160x100
> thumbnail and lengthy rendering times definitely wasn't my goal...

Yes, an idea was to calculate few pixels, that could serve both as
predicting the rendering time of the scene, and as certificate for
correctness of the computations.
BTW I have one question about the way you distribute the rendering on
your different PCs. How does the distribution handles the various
frequency of the processors. I mean how the load is distributed to the
processors, statically or dynimically ?

--
Gilles    Equipe Architectures Paralleles   Tel  33  01-69-15-42-25
FEDAK     LRI bat 490                       Fax  33  01-69-15-65-86