POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Peer to Peer Povray : Re: Peer to Peer Povray Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Peer to Peer Povray
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 9 Mar 2001 22:01:37
Message: <3AA99A1C.F4908212@peak.edu.ee>
Gilles Fedak wrote:

> For the i/o point of view, we can easly restrict the size of the input
> file to few Ko :)

Restricting the size of the input file is not enough, because even a tiny input
file can easily generate a massive scene if it uses iterative elements such as
loops and recursive macros. Disallowing such elements is probably not an option,
because many people rely on them quite heavily.
As far as I can see, running a parse test on the server is the only reliable way
of evaluating a submitted scene. The test sould check that both parse time and
(more importantly IMO) memory usage are within acceptable limits. Of course with
animations, a test parse must be performed for every frame, because different
clock values can execute different branches in the script. All this may or may
not put too much stress on the server...

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt