POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Peer to Peer Povray : Re: Peer to Peer Povray Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:04:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Peer to Peer Povray
From: Gilles Fedak
Date: 9 Mar 2001 13:47:40
Message: <3AA92551.47A7E372@lri.fr>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Suggestions:
> Apart from excluding any files with i/o operations, you would probably want
> to test-parse any files on the server and only distribute those files that
> parsed within a fixed time limit.

Exectly, this is our current work in progress :) I have contacted one of
the PovRay farm Render to get some of their scripts, if they have some.
But I didn't get any response. So what we are doing now it's first we
split an animation in calculation of frames and one task=one frame. So
we're looking for this kind of scripts, even now part are already done.

For the i/o point of view, we can easly restrict the size of the input
file to few Ko :)

>  You might also want to exclude any files
> over a certain file size.
> You would need to exclude files with radiosity (or warn submitters that the
> results will be unreliable).

Ah, ok I don't know that problem. Why should we exclude radiosity.

> Still, this could be very nice for some kinds of scenes, such as nice big
> isosurfaces or photons.
>
> If you get far enough, I'd be happy to donate some cycles

Thank you very much :) I hope you will !

> - provided you can
> ensure that file i/o is prevented (didn't the guy who runs the render farm
> have problems with some bu%$er submitting a pov-virus?)

Gasp, do you mean some kind of buffer overrun in the parameterS? We
think about using
sndboxing technique like subterfugue
(http://subterfugue.sourceforge.net/). But right now it is not implented
but we can restrict the user able to submit task. You're right it is a
big issue.

--
Gilles    Equipe Architectures Paralleles   Tel  33  01-69-15-42-25
FEDAK     LRI bat 490                       Fax  33  01-69-15-65-86