POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Peer to Peer Povray : Re: Peer to Peer Povray Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Peer to Peer Povray
From: Gilles Fedak
Date: 9 Mar 2001 13:21:52
Message: <3AA91F44.CF4CF8F6@lri.fr>
Tom Melly wrote:

> "Gilles Fedak" <fed### [at] lrifr> wrote in message
> >

> <SNIP>
>
> This sound great!
>
> What version are you going to run? Also, presumably you won't allow any
> external files (image maps and hfs, etc.) or i/o access.

Well, we can support several versions as I understand there are
currently two main versions of PovRay, PovRay 3.1 and Patched or
MegaovRay.

Concerning I/O, actually we work as this: if you want to submit a task
(of an application in general) you give a file which is the stdin file,
a zip file which is a compressed directory containing all the files
requested for the execution of the task, and the command line.

The worker (remote PC) unzips the dir, jumps  into, execute the command
line, inject the stdin file. So you see that's it is quite simple and ad
hoc. Right now we don't support some kind of "throttle" mecanism for
limiting bandwith, or size of
 the genrated files.

> BTW, is everyone in France called Gilles? ;)

No, we have Jacques Pierre Paul etc...

Gilles    Equipe Architectures Paralleles   Tel  33  01-69-15-42-25
FEDAK     LRI bat 490                       Fax  33  01-69-15-65-86
------    Universite Paris-Sud                  email: fed### [at] lrifr
XtremWeb  F-91405 ORSAY Cedex              http://www.lri.fr/~fedak