POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : subdivision surfaces and patches : Re: subdivision surfaces and patches Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:07:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: subdivision surfaces and patches
From: John VanSickle
Date: 5 Mar 2001 01:59:31
Message: <3AA339E1.8AF14932@hotmail.com>
Ken wrote:

> Peter Cracknell wrote:
>
> > ...Its not suitable directly for POV-Ray though someone could write
> > a macro that could subdivide a mesh...
>
> Someone already has :)
>
> http://users4.50megs.com/enphilistor/sss.htm

Unfortunately, it does not handle sharp edges or border edges (although
there is a way to work around that), and it is not terribly fast.

My modeler, which is currently in an ultra-slow rewrite, will be
supporting them.  However, that is waiting until I've got the
articulation
the way I want it (which will include a way to export a model as an .INC
file so that POV script code can animate it).

Once that work, the subdivision surface support will be added, then
UV-mapping.

Regards,
John