POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : .net rendering : Re: .net rendering Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .net rendering
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 26 Feb 2001 06:09:52
Message: <3A9A39D6.656566A1@atosorigin.com>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> Nekar Xenos <vir### [at] iconcoza> wrote in message
> > I quickly glimpsed at an article in PC Format in a bookstore about .net
> (not
> > to be confused with the .net magazine).  Apparently .net would replace
> > Windoze. The actual OS would be loaded on a main server that has all the
> > programs loaded and users just log on to .net to use whatever program at a
> > monthly rental fee.
> >

> As far as I know .net is a plan by microsoft of alleviating dll hell.
> Programs will
> run on top of a code manager. I need to read more about it but I
> don't think it has anything to do with a common server that everything runs
> on.

From what I've read of it, it rather looks like an applicaton-file server with
a licence server: it will use YOUR cpu and memory, but .net will get money
every time you decide to launch (and download, unless cached) an application.

This way, USERs won't stay with WinWord 2.0, but will automatically be updated
to the lastest versions (new bugs and fee included).

(P.S.: I do not like the idea !!!!)