POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Going nuts: racetrack optimization : Re: Going nuts: racetrack optimization Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Going nuts: racetrack optimization
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 23 Feb 2001 09:33:21
Message: <3A967344.FB9E57EA@my-dejanews.com>
No, I had a routine at the beginning which generated random parameters--the
rest of the algorithm uses no random numbers. When the algo liked one set of
parameters, I pasted the text it wrote to a file back into the algo,
*replacing* the random number generation.  In other words I used  #write
(MyFile2,wallaccelturns,",")  and then pasted the text from this file back
into my algo.

In trying to generate a file which could enable repeating the problem with 10
minutes look, I stumbled onto some really good parameters.  Hand-typing these
back in, instead of   zero crashes until 370 frames, I now get zero crashes
until 422 frames.

Perhaps Fabien is right--there is extreme sensitivity to inital conditions
(or really here, the rules of operation at several decimal points out.).
When I hand typed "most" of the digits for the parameters my algo *really*
liked, I cut off some digits and things got a tiny bit better.  When I pasted
the complete text for parameters my algo *sort of* liked, it is possible that
the #write-ing lost some precision and thus turned my OK-parameters into
crash-prone parameters.

It was chaotic, man.