POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Other Bonds (52KB) : Re: Other Bonds (52KB) Server Time
29 Apr 2024 20:45:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Other Bonds (52KB)
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 20 Feb 2001 08:46:05
Message: <3A927565.D4A1CBF9@kivisalo.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3A9220F5.F5E3D687@kivisalo.net>, Kari Kivisalo
> <kar### [at] kivisalonet> wrote:
>
> > I plan to experiment with different post processing algorithms,
> > dynamic range compression etc., which take images with high dynamic
> > range and optimise them for monitor viewing. This requires the 48 bits.
> > The images should look more like photographs than CG. That's the short
> > version.
>
> I don't think 48 bit output will do what you want...it doesn't affect
> the dynamic range of the image, just the number of levels in each color
> channel.

Dynamic range/contrast ratio is directly proportional to number of levels,
when talking about linear samples.

Think about audio analogy, 8bit samples have a dynamic range of 48 dB
and 16 bit samples have 96 dB. ( dB=20*log(max_sample/min_sample) )

I know what I'm doing. Trust me :) I also know what you mean but for
hands on quick testing I have to get the images to Matlab and Photoshop.

Kari Kivisalo                                  http://www.kivisalo.net