POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to speed up rendering of complex CSGs? : Re: How to speed up rendering of complex CSGs? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to speed up rendering of complex CSGs?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 16 Feb 2001 20:30:04
Message: <3A8DD377.C4833F9@videotron.ca>
Yadgar wrote:

> Hi Tracers!
>
> I recently started to build an animation containing several thousand
> primitives in eight CSGs (only three levels deep nested), and when I
> started rendering, I was somewhat surprised by the slow progress - about
>
> 30 minutes for an image of 400 by 300 pixels, on an AMD K6-II running at
>
> 380 MHz!
>
> Then, I started to think of methods to speed up the rendering... but
> whether I disabled auto-bounding or not, it did not work faster. How can
>
> I speed it up unless I don't use a lower quality level?

Try to change the hierarchy in which the different parts of the CSG are
put together.  From what I understand of the POV innards, is that
differences and intersections are killers.  For example, creating an
I-beam consisting of the union of three slender boxes should be faster
than if you had the difference of a square box and the two sides.

--
Francois Labreque |   //\\    Wear an ASCII ribbon!
    flabreque     |  ||  ||