POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to permit null objects? : Re: How to permit null objects? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to permit null objects?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 6 Feb 2001 11:56:22
Message: <3A802B51.CC97C5D2@my-dejanews.com>
Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:

> did you compared your idea with blobman ?
> http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/HoustonGraph/POV-Ray/index.htm

I have great respect for what he's done, but its main problem is that it
wasn't created by me. I get greater personal satisfaction out of something I
can model from scratch than something that is pre-fab, no matter how
ingenious.  I'd rather make something crappy with my own figure than
photorealistic with Poser.  My goal is someday to have some cool, extremely
expressive characters that I can just reuse again and again ala'  JvS'
"Rusty"  or  perhaps closer to NA's "Pool Shark Guy".  I've tinkered with
Peter's code, but didn't find it all that interchangeable, didn't like the
faces, didn't think it had as much mobility to do all the things I was
interested in.

In my code, I will be able to have the figure shrug its shoulders: a rotation
of the clavicle bone. I'll also have non-slipping feet with bending at the
toe, am laboring on a true three-point foot structure.  With just a few lines
of code, I'll be able to include both a stick figure, a cool modelled figure,
and a robotic figure all doing the same walk. Can anyone say, "T2" ?  I'm also
spending a lot of time "digitizing" the xyz points off of skeletons & heads
from anatomy books to give it a more realistic shape, something sorely lacking
in my first two versions.

ANOTHER vision I have is that my "bones" could serve as the model for some
genius' coding of a "bones + bicubic patch" system ala' Hash's
Animation:Master.

Again, with great respect to Peter H,  it's quite likely I'll make something
less user-friendly than his is, but it at least will be designed around *my*
objectives . . .