POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The philosophy of union and non-overriding of pigments : The philosophy of union and non-overriding of pigments Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:11:04 EDT (-0400)
  The philosophy of union and non-overriding of pigments
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 6 Feb 2001 08:53:33
Message: <3A800076.6EB9CAB2@my-dejanews.com>
Can someone just help me understand the philosophy of how unions are
textured?

I had code like this

#declare FINGER=
    union{
        cylinder{bar1, foo1, blah  }
        cylinder{bar2, foo2, blah  }
        cylinder{bar3, foo3, blah   pigment {White}}
    }

union{
    object{FINGER}
    object{other_untextured_object#1}
    object{other_untextured_object#2}
    texture{T_Brass_1E}
    }

What happened was that the whole thing looks like brass except for the
one segment I painted white.  The question is why didn't the texture
statement at the end there override the pigment statement above?   I'm
trying to understand the rationale so I can do things more intuitively
in the future....