POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0 : Re: Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0 Server Time
26 Jun 2024 06:58:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Feb 2001 11:15:07
Message: <3A7ADD07.16301974@gmx.de>

>         Yes it would, but since cloth computing is pretty slow, it should still
> be independent of scene rendering. Ideally, it would be an independant
> binary linked to the povray object code, but the license of pov doesn't
> allow this and anyway I'm afraid it would be too much of a mess until
> pov is programmed in C++ so I won't do it.

I understand that, although another nice thing about integration into Pov
would be animations.

>  > Another nice thing would be smooth meshes.
>  >
>         If you mean in the output, it's already there (actually, there's no way
> to output a non-smooth mesh). If you mean in the input, meshes are
> certainly a possibility (they'll wait until after self-collision though,
> since they'll share a lot of code with it) but I don't see how *smooth*
> meshes would behave?

Seems i have got this wrong, sorry.

One very nice thing for an object in the cloth simulator would be a
heightfield.  One could generate a depth map of any pov scene from above
and use it in the simulator.  Of course that would have some limitations,
but it would be quite sufficient for many complex scenes.  For example
imagine some sheet covering a table with a lot of different objects on
top.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>