POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0 : Re: Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0 Server Time
26 Jun 2024 06:58:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0
From: Jérôme M  Berger
Date: 2 Feb 2001 09:59:50
Message: <3A7ACB61.5010508@iname.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

 > When compiling it with cygwin, it only complained about the 'if
(!isfinite(tmp))'
 >  in vector.cc.  I just commented it out to get it running and it
 > worked nice although with the sample parameters in the docu, it generated
 >  'NaN' values in the output.
 >
 > I doubt these two things are related because the 'if
 > (!isfinite(tmp))' construction would not even finish the
 > calculation.
 >
 > I don't know any C++ so i would appreciate some info about both the
 > 'NaN' output and the isfinite() function

	Look at Mark Wagner's message and my answer.

 > Have you thought about adding it directly to Povray? that would make
 >  it possible to use all Povray object for collision.

	Yes it would, but since cloth computing is pretty slow, it should still
be independent of scene rendering. Ideally, it would be an independant
binary linked to the povray object code, but the license of pov doesn't
allow this and anyway I'm afraid it would be too much of a mess until
pov is programmed in C++ so I won't do it.

	OTOH, someone has just showed one such patch on the french newsgroup.
It's not publicly available yet but it shows some promise (except that
from the description the author gave it seems hellishly difficult to use)

 > Another nice thing would be smooth meshes.

	If you mean in the output, it's already there (actually, there's no way
to output a non-smooth mesh). If you mean in the input, meshes are
certainly a possibility (they'll wait until after self-collision though,
since they'll share a lot of code with it) but I don't see how *smooth*
meshes would behave?

		Jerome
--

* Abandon the search for truth, * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* Settle for a good fantasy.    * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger