POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Physics - collision detection etc : Re: Physics - collision detection etc Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physics - collision detection etc
From: David Buck
Date: 26 Jan 2001 05:48:33
Message: <3A71566B.CE8EDC4E@simberon.com>
John VanSickle wrote:

> Let me point out here that re-calculating the new position first, with the
> formula P' = P + Vt + At^2/2 yields less inaccurate results.  This still
> results in an accumulating degree of imprecision; modifying the equations
> to include third-order behavior reduces the imprecision; a bit of drag
> (the cV factor you mention above) will reduce the wild thrashing that can
> result from the accumulating errors.

Never implement undampened springs.  They will explode with small accumulating
errors.

> For those interested, feed "Runge-Kutta" into your friendly
> neighborhood search engine.  Google registers over 3000 hits.

Tough parts are collision detection (especially particle-particle collision),
continuous contact, and rigid bodies (requires calculating center of mass,
torques and 3D orientations).

David Buck
dav### [at] simberoncom