POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to do this terrain tiles with POV? : Re: How to do this terrain tiles with POV? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to do this terrain tiles with POV?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 25 Jan 2001 02:04:08
Message: <3A6FE552.15C9D4D5@hotmail.com>
Bogdan wrote:

> Question.1
> =============
> My problem is (or looks) simple:
> I want to make a terrain in POV (using heighfields or primitives)
> and then to find a way to cut simple rectangular tiles or macro tiles
> from this image (32x32x4x2in size) so that i can use them to padd a much
> greater areea
> and it must not be noticeable the terrain is made from rectangular
> tiles...

If the tiles are simply going to be repeated with no modification (other
than re-texturing), it will be very difficult to keep the viewer from
noticing.  The human brain is pretty good at picking patterns out of the
image that hits the eye.

However, if you keep an array of height information, you can use this to
place patches accordingly.  If the overall pattern has to be rectangular,
you can form the rectangles with two (or four) triangular patches, which
can be constructed so that the seams between two patches always join.
However, the edges of these patches will always have a discontinuity in
the surface normal; however, if the patches have internal discontinuities
in the surface normal, the effect of the edges will not be noticeable.

If the surface has to look smooth (or not obviously a bunch of triangles),
you can use smoothed_triangle meshes, but you will need several of them
in order to allow for all combinations of elevation changes.

> Question.2
> ===============
> Besides that why must i place the camera at 1,5*k on y ? from my
> calculations i shoud be at
> 30 degrees above plane <0,1,0> , 0 but it looks is not...cant figure
> that out...but it works
>
> Something about my aspect ratio is 2:1 and not 3:4 ?

Could be.

> Question.3
> How can i cut tiles say 64x128 from a bigger image 384x192 at render
> time
> or on a separate render from first generated image?

You can change the length of the up and right vectors in your camera
statment.  Make them half as long, and render at half the size in each
direction, and you'll have a smaller piece of the same data.

Regards,
John