POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 22 Jan 2001 00:22:43
Message: <3A6BC3F5.CB7E9A91@unforgettable.com>
Hookflash wrote:

> >If you've read the documentation you'd realise that POV-Ray *does* have
> >a commercial value and that what you just said isn't true.
> >
> >There are funds to steal, and there is intellectual property to steal.
>
> I said that PovRay was freeware, whereas 3DS Max is a commercial *product*.
> Whether or not PovRay has "commercial value" is irrelevant to our
> discussion, since PovRay is not being sold as a commercial product.  Also,
> the intellectual property cannot be stolen since it's freely available for
> download.

Intellectual property is a joke, IMNSHO. However, in the sense that IP
can be "stolen" at all, it can be stolen from the various contributors
to POV-Ray. Whether or not POV-Ray is being sold for money is completely
irrelevant to the fact that it enjoys the same protection under the law
as 3DS Max or any other piece of commercial software.

-Xplo