POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Jan 2001 03:52:24
Message: <3A6AA349.156E7705@gmx.de>
Hookflash wrote:

> That's why I dislike the current development model... The only information
> we get about the process is whatever the developers decide to tell us.  I
> would prefer a more open, community-oriented approach (OpenSource,
> basically).  But maybe that's just my preference.

Well, you can always modify the povray source to make your own patch as
long as you comply with the licence.  megapov *is* a much more open
approach containing the patches from a lot of different people.  Anyway
there are a lot of problems with megapov, because most patches were
developed for some special purpose and for example are not easy to use,
not well optimized or don't work well together with other patches.

As i understand it Povray 3.5 is not only about adding new features to
Povray but also about keeping consistence concerning the Povray language,
the documentation and of course the source code.  I much appreciate that
effort.

> And what harm would there be in that?  If someone wants to use the renderer
> in their own program or distribute a crippled version, who cares?  If it's
> not PovRay anymore, they can use a different name and logo.

I don't agree with that, mainly because i would not like that either if it
was my programming work.

> How can we obtain their permission when we can't contact them?

POVLEGAL says how you can contact the POV-Team if you have questions
concerning the licence.  Furthermore i suppose you can also contact the
TAG about that.

> I appreciate the work the PovTeam is doing, but I think it would be easier
> on them *and* the community if we had a more open development model.  Of
> coarse, I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice before... j/k;-)

According to the POV-Team Status Report there is going to be some change
in that for version 4.  You can read the Status Report in
povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>