POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: David Fontaine
Date: 19 Jan 2001 19:26:26
Message: <3A68D9ED.DFF8908@faricy.net>
David Buck wrote:

> Hi all.  I just found this newsgroup recently and I'm amazed at all the
> traffic on it.  It seems that POV-Ray has come a long way form it's
> humble beginnings back in '85 or so.  I'm the author of DKBTrace which,
> you may know, is the predecessor of POV-Ray.  I offered the DKBTrace
> source to the POV-Ray team as a base system and I served on the POV-Ray
> team for about two years.
>
> What exciting things are happening these days in the POV-Ray world?  I'm
> seeing some amazing things posted on the net.

Nice to see you here!

I'd say probably the single most important addition in 3.1 is macros. Now
you can automate and calculate just about anything, though it's also much
easier to get looooong parse times. ;) There is a continuing skyrocket in
the quality of work posted here, thanks to continued development and a large
community. MegaPOV is simply loaded with great features too, and many will
be in 3.5.