POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi from DKBTrace author : Re: Hi from DKBTrace author Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi from DKBTrace author
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Jan 2001 12:37:53
Message: <3A687B5A.4AEB88B6@inapg.inra.fr>
David Buck wrote:

> Warp wrote:
> > http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2000-04-30/gt_city.jpg
> Ok, I have a new favorite picture.  Was this created with POV or MegaPOV?
> This is totally incredible.  Do people publish the scene files for pictures
> like this?  I'm still in awe.

Hello
Like other people there, I'd like to thank you for starting all this, and
changing (for the best) many people lives in the process, including mine. I
started with POV 1.0 but then DKBTrace was still fresh. Strangely enough, I was
looking yesterday for information about Andreas Stabinger, the developer of
Raytrace, a nifty raytracer for Windows that was popular in Europe around
1992-1993. I switched to POVRay in 1993 because the scripting language made it
(already) more powerful.

About my "Wet Bird" pic (made with Megapov), one obvious thing is that POV-Ray
has become incredibly powerful and its output is now professional-looking.
However, complex scenes like this rely a lot on non-procedural objects and
textures (meshes and bitmaps, some of them bought from 3D vendors) which make
entire scenes files unfit to download either because of the size or because of
copyright reasons. So, in a way, Pov has become "mature", for the good and the
bad. Still, a  Pover will find on the net enough freebies to keep him/her happy
and busy for a while !

Gilles Tran

--

http://www.oyonale.com