POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with my new webserver : Re: Help with my new webserver Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with my new webserver
From: David Fontaine
Date: 17 Jan 2001 22:46:35
Message: <3A6665E0.83F13201@faricy.net>
Simon Lemieux wrote:

> > IMO thumbnails under 10k, I keep the ones on my site around 3-4k but they're small
in
> > area compared to some and there's a lot of them. Backgrounds small too, "title"
> > graphics under 50k and images themselves under 200. Of course you always have to
> > consider jpeg limitations, so exceptions can be made.
> >
> > It looks like your site is pretty good about that. I see you have two res. for
each
> > one, that's always nice.
>
> This makes me think that I could probably compress most the small images,
> thumbnails, etc to 90-95% and still get a very nice image but with half the disk
> size...  The difference won't even be noticable!...

You seem to tend towards RGB-type color schemes, which isn't a bad thing but isn't
jpeg
friendly. So if your file sizes are somewhat larger than normal so be it... (case in
point
most of the full-size pics on my site are around 100-150k, but the lego phalanx is
nearly
300. that's 800x600 too, and your high-res versions are bigger than that)