POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : When POVRay 3.5 : Re: When POVRay 3.5 Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When POVRay 3.5
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 17 Jan 2001 05:20:16
Message: <3A657293.3D3FBE7F@aetec.ee>
J-Print News wrote:

> Doesn't Rhino3d use iso surfaces? I know it uses mathematical functions to
> model surfaces. If not, what s the difference. What's the difference between
> nurbs and iso surfaces?

Rhino uses NURBS (non-uniform rational B-spline) surfaces. NURBS are
parametric surfaces, where surface is described by 2 additional
parametric values u and v. To put it bluntly, for NURBS surface there is
3 equations:
x = fx(u,v)
y = fy(u,v)
z = fz(u,v)
You run u and v values over given range (quite often it is from 0-1) and
calculate points (x,y,z) on surface.