POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with my new webserver : Re: Help with my new webserver Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with my new webserver
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 16 Jan 2001 13:50:54
Message: <3A649874.DDE0F064@yahoo.com>
Francois Labreque wrote:

> I wrote:
> >
> > Netscape times out.
> > Internet Explorer times out.
> > Telnet to port 80 times out.
> >
> > I guess it's time for you to look at the firewall logs for my IP address
> > (available in the headers of this message) to see what happened.
> >

> I forgot to add that ping and traceroute to your machine work fine, so
> it's not a routing issue and that "regular" telnet and telnet to the
> SMTP port are blocked right away, so it's definitely a problem with your
> firewall.  Make sure it allows packets that have source port 80 and
> destination port > 1023.

I have an idea as to why this is happening, my DSL client rp-pppoe is a new
version and in the new version I noticed it does the firewall... but it seems to
be absolute in a sense that it Has to be that client that does the firewall,
anything else wont work (if I connect with this one...)...  the client's
firewall is set to LAN which let the LAN access internet via my computer, I also
have the choice for stand alone (can't set the firewall myself after that...)
and none (same thing)...  The idea is that I am able to set a basic firewall
that let everything pass through, not much of a security, but anyway...  the
problem is that the program seems to take control of the ipchains settings...

This could be the cause of all this, it makes sense that something playing with
the firewall might be the cause of a firewall problem ;)...  But then why can my
friend log on the server?  This is very odd, he couldn't a month ago and now he
can, but nobody else can...

Anyway, I set the program to have No firwall settings, this should get rid of
the problem in my idea... if it works I'll contact the author to see how I can
manage my own firewall (like I did before I had this software)...

If nothing still work, I could manage to pay some Pizza&Beer for an evening! ;)

Thanks,
	Simon

--
| Simon Lemieux           | http://www.666Mhz.net            |