POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The PC Plus magazine mentions POV-Ray : Re: The PC Plus magazine mentions POV-Ray Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The PC Plus magazine mentions POV-Ray
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 15 Jan 2001 10:54:05
Message: <3A631CEF.6D3934FC@inapg.inra.fr>
Ken wrote:

> Warp wrote:
> >
> >   I suppose that it says more or less indirectly that "povray is a cheap toy
> > to play with for a while, but because of the lack of a good modeller and
> > support from other programs, it's not for professionals" ;)
>
> Yeah, that's what I expect. I'm just hoping that someday, someone,
> is going to go on record as saying it is one of the best raytracing
> programs ever written.

Actually, the few computer magazines that write about POV are very positive about
it and not as condescending as you'd imagine. I remember a French magazine giving
POV 3.0 a 5 stars rating (on a 5 scale of course). I also know of Italian, German,
Spanish and Japanese magazines that have published reviews about POV and POV
tutorials. They surely say that it's the best raytracer... in the
freeware/shareware category. POV is not a professional graphic tool for many
excellent reasons (and the fact that it can output professional-looking stuff
doesn't mean that it's professional), and there's nothing to be ashamed about.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com