POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern : Re: Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new simple pattern
From: David Fontaine
Date: 12 Jan 2001 21:34:36
Message: <3A5FBD94.D1DAA77B@faricy.net>
Ken wrote:

> When I saw this -
>
> #macro Gradient2 (Vector)
>
>   #local FX=vnormalize(Vector).x;
>   #local FY=vnormalize(Vector).y;
>   #local FZ=vnormalize(Vector).z;
>   #local Len=vlength(Vector);
>
>   function {
>       min(1,max(0,(x*FX + y*FY + z*FZ)/Len))
>   }
>
> #end
>
> I concluded I have absolutely no idea what it does, how to use it,
> nor do I stand any chance of modifying it with any predictable outcome.

[snip]
Yeah, most people don't know how to use camera{} before reading the docs either.
The macros would come with documentation. I don't see the problem.
As for modifying it, you don't have to, but at least it's possible this way. Are
you saying if it was hard-coded you could dl the source and recompile it more
predictably than with modifying a macro?