POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow screen effect? : Shadow screen effect? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Shadow screen effect?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 12 Jan 2001 17:36:45
Message: <3A5F8732.42564FE@unforgettable.com>
I'm looking for a way to simulate the effect of a translucent (not
transparent) object; specifically, it's impossible (or nearly so) to see
through, but some light can still pass through it, allowing you to
illuminate it from the back and see shadows that are cast on the back
side. As far as I know, using double_illuminate doesn't retain shadows
that are cast on one side, and I'm not sure whether the blurred
transparency patch that someone (Chris Huff?) was working on would
simulate this properly, and anyway, it's not in the official or
MegaPatch versions of POV-Ray. Maybe blurred transparency with a dense
internal media to diffuse light inside the object?

Anyway, I'm stumped. Does anyone know how to do this?

-Xplo