POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Compression : Re: Compression Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compression
From: Josh English
Date: 12 Jan 2001 17:09:39
Message: <3A5F8112.276CFCD5@spiritone.com>
I beleive you're talking about two differnet compression needs. ZIP compresses
text files and encodes them in a way that is smaller than usual. Mesh
Compression, as I understand it, determines if a mesh has useless triangle and
removes them from the mesh, replacing them with larger triangles that fit the
job. So if a mesh was a grid of triangles that formed a flat square, it would
get replaced by two or three triangles.

More importantly, yes ZIP is a great method of making big files small, I don't
think POV-Ray can read the contents of a zip archive and use the code.

Josh

--
Josh English -- Lexiphanic Lethomaniac
eng### [at] spiritonecom