POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Compression : Re: Compression Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compression
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Jan 2001 15:13:57
Message: <3A5F6586.973E5EE6@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> I have some general questions about compression.
>
> I don't know much about different platforms. Is the .zip format accessible
> on all platforms? I always zip all my scene files before I upload them to my
> website, but does that exclude some people from using them?

I think ZIP is quite universal, don't know about Macs, but DOS, Windows,
OS/2 and most unix'es are ok.  C-source for ZIP is available, so there
should be some version on most platforms.  TGZ (.tar.gz) is also widely
supported, but it's much less common on the Windows platforms, so it would
not be such a good idea.  BTW, it's much more efficient when packing a lot
of smaller files.

I personnaly don't see much need to compress single pov code files, since
otherwise you can directly view them and have less work when downloading.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>