POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : diffuse and ambient : Re: diffuse and ambient Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: diffuse and ambient
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 11 Jan 2001 10:16:11
Message: <3A5DCD94.E1942106@videotron.ca>
Tom Melly wrote:

> "Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
> news:slr### [at] fwicom...
> >
> > But one does code like that, if one knows about the all-important
> > global_settings { ambient_light COLOR } setting.  Just look at it
> > as a big shadowless light source that casts light in all directions
> > from everywhere.
> >

> Well, yes, but even using global ambient, the ambient of objects won't
> change as you adjust the strength of the light-sources in the image.

If global ambient is linked to the strength of your light sources (or
number thereof) via something similar to the "ambient
0.3*Light_Strength*light_num", then the induvidual ambient of objects
doesn't need to be played with as long as you also take into account the
proximity of the light sources to the object (as someone mentioned
earlier: in space, there is very little ambient) when giving these
objects ambient values in the first place.

I personally prefer setting ambient to 0 and let radiosity take care of
all this stuff.  But then again, I have the horsepower necessary for it,
so ymmv.

--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque     | button on a cat who wants breakfast.