POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : diffuse and ambient : diffuse and ambient Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  diffuse and ambient
From: Hookflash
Date: 10 Jan 2001 20:51:37
Message: <3A5CF537.5489@hotmail.com>
I've been using Pov for awhile now, but I've always been a bit confused
about the "ambient" and "diffuse" keywords in the finish block of an
object.  My understanding is as follows:

When a light source in the scene is shining on an object, that object's
"diffuse" value determines how much of that light is reflected to the
camera (is it a percentage, 0-1 being 0-100% ?).

An object's "ambient" value determines the amount of ambient light (i.e,
light striking the surface of an object from all directions and from no
particular light sourfce) (is this also a percentage?) reflected off the
object to the camera.

Is this correct?  The documentation seems to state that "diffuse"
determines the percentage of the light you see reflecting off an object
that is actually light from light sources being reflected diffusely.  If
this were the case, "diffuse 1" would cause the object to reflect no
ambient light, which is of coarse not the case.  Any help would be
greatly apprectiated... I'm confused;-)  Thanks in advance.

Jordan